Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Lost in Vancouver...I mean Space!

January 10, 2017

The call came in September. I remember it very well because I was having dinner with my family at Drake's restaurant in Toronto. It was my agent and manager and they said, 
"Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! Congratulations, Max! You are the new Will Robinson in Netflix's Lost in Space!" 

I was shocked and excited and a little over whelmed. That was in September... four months ago...

Today I sit in my apartment in downtown Vancouver, after coming here just yesterday. It felt bitter sweet to leave Chicago. I knew I would miss my family, but I knew I had crazy adventures ahead and one of those adventures meant getting my very own spacesuit! 

After I arrived in Vancouver,  I had to go through immigration to get my work permit. I was tired from the 5 hour flight already. The lines were very long. I wondered if my stay in Vancouver would be over by the time I got through the line! When we left the customs area, there was a really nice guy holding up a sign with my name. His name was Dave and he was there to take us directly to the studio so I could do paperwork, meet my stunt double and meet with the director, Neil Marshall and the writer Zach Estrin. It was really awesome to meet them all and they seemed so excited that I was there. It felt nice to be welcomed, but I was beginning to feel dizzy and overwhelmed. I started to realize just how long I was going to be in Vancouver...

After a few hours, Dave picked us up again to bring us to our apartment. We arrived at the apartment and I just wanted to curl up in bed and call home. I was so tired, and I missed my sister, Sam. I missed my dogs and I missed my dad. I missed my room, and my ps4 and my friends. I felt a big lump in my chest and I thought I was going to cry. My mom saw this and tried to speed up the check in process, but the woman at the front desk seemed to be talking so slowly. She just kept repeating the name of the street  we were on, "Alberni?...Alberni?... you know, Alberni?" It seemed that each time she said Alberni, she asked a question and all I knew was that I was about to cry I felt so homesick.

At last we got to our apartment. It was a relief. My mom unpacked and cooked dinner and I began to get comfortable in my new apartment.

Today I woke up and felt a million times better. I got to meet my "sisters" and they are really awesome, I got to meet my teacher, Luke and he is really great, I got a haircut, which is really short and I'm not sure how much I like it yet, and last but not least... I GOT TO TRY ON MY SPACE SUIT!!! It is blue and orange and it lights up. There are coils sewn into the under clothes that can either run cold water or warm water to keep me cool or warm whichever I need!! The space suit was made by the same company that made Matt Damon's space suit in The Martian. I think this is the coolest project I have ever worked on.

I'm still homesick, and I know that Lost in Space will take a long time to film, but I am excited for what the future will bring. I am excited for my adventures in space!! I plan to keep this blog so I can stay connected to my real home and friends so I don't truly get Lost in Space!

Until next time...
Space Explorer, Will Robinson (AKA Max Jenkins)


        
          My TV sisters
figuring out POM
Haircut!
                    


3 comments:

  1. Horray!! So excited to follow your adventure, Max. It sounds like it was a lot to take in already. We'll figure out some times for you to Skype while you are away. Keep the pictures and the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max! What an awesome first entry. I can't imagine how overwhelming everything must feel at the moment. A mix of wonderful things and strange, I bet. I'm so grateful that we are able to hear from you and can't wait to know more. I'm hoping to have everybody write to you from Sacred Writing Time at least a couple times a week. Thinking of you and wishing you the best! - Ms. Visser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Miss Visser. It will be totally great to hear from the class!!!

    ReplyDelete