Sunday, January 29, 2017

God Bless America






I started this post right after the inauguration. I thought it might be nice to post about how all over the world we were united in one voice supporting women and equal rights for all. My family was visiting me here in Vancouver and we decided to check out Jack Poole Plaza because we heard there was supposed to be a small march there in solidarity with the women's march in DC. We figured it might be pretty small, but some of the cast was going and it might be nice to meet them there. 

We walked to the plaza with Toby. As we arrived we saw thousands of people there. So many people gathered and they just kept coming. We met with Taylor after some time, and began to march towards Trump Towers. It took a while to start marching because there were so many people. It stretched many city blocks and as we looked ahead it  seemed as though we were tiny minnows in a giant school of fish.

Everyone was standing together. It felt like even though I was far away from home and in another country, I was really at home. We were all tied together.

I was proud to take part in our democracy even from far way. I felt proud to stand against a man who is a reality tv star who says he wants to bring jobs back to america, but he doesn't even make his own products in america. He is a hypocrite. 

As the week went on, I was really caught up in work. It was the first week of filming, and it was overwhelming enough. When I would come home each night, my mom and I would watch the news and we felt helpless as we watched the new president do all the horrible things he said he would in the campaign. I was glad to be in Canada I have to admit. 

The final straw was on Friday when he signed the executive order banning the entry of muslims who were legally supposed to be in America. Vancouver is a very diverse city. Everywhere we go, we see people of different cultures and ethnicities working, living, and playing together. How come we can't exist like this in the US? Why is there such a divide? Why is there so much fear? I don't really understand it, and the more I travel, the less I understand America. It makes me feel very sad to feel this way. I don't know what happens next to our country. It is scary to think about. I hope one day soon, we can really have an America that is undivided, and value all of our diverse people. Until then, I be glad to be here in Canada. #Resist #WeareOne

No comments:

Post a Comment