Thursday, January 19, 2017

Family Time in Front of the Camera.



I have been in Vancouver for a little more than a week now. We have not started to film the series yet, but we are working everyday... and I am very tired. I'm not even sure why I am so tired. When I look back on the days, it doesn't even seem like we have done a lot. But everything we are doing is important. We can't even begin to shoot the series until certain things happen. 
One of those things is a camera test! Camera tests are the best! Camera tests give the director and the DP(or Director of Photography) a chance to see what you look like in your hair, make-up, and wardrobe in front of the camera. It's the first time everyone gets to see the characters come to life! It is a very low pressure day for the actors, but not so much for the costumes, hair, and make-up departments. The camera test for Lost in Space was not like any other I have done. The main reason is because for Lost in Space, we camera tested in our SPACE SUITS!!! It was the first time the entire Robinson family was together. I looked around the room as we waited to go in front of the camera, and saw my "family" decked out in the coolest space gear you can imagine. It seemed unreal. I loved hanging out with Taylor and Mina. They play my sisters and it is incredible how quick we all became very good friends. It's like we've known each other for a long time. I think it's because we are all really excited, and we are all really nervous too. We are all on a strange journey that is unlike any we have ever taken before and somehow  we already know that we need to stick together! I also got to meet the actress that will play my mom. Her name is Molly Parker, and she is really awesome. She has a very calm energy around her. She talked to me about the fact that she has a 10 year old son named Will in real life, and how hard it is to be away from your family while you are working. I think Molly and I are going to have a great time working together because I can already tell she is a really kind person. 
Another cool thing about the camera test day is that it is the first time we all get our cast chairs. This company is so nice that they even made a chair for my mom and that has never happened before! It's exciting to walk into the sound stage and see your name on a chair! It makes it all seem so official! It's really happening! It doesn't matter that I have other chairs with my name on it, it still feels exciting to look at a chair with the name of the show and your name on it! As I looked at my name, I couldn't help but think about the fact that one day the 1st Assistant Director would yell, "Cut!" and present me with the back of this chair as we finish the filming. How many times this has happened, and I sob each time because it means that the experience is over... Remembering this fact and looking around the room at my new family made me feel a bit sad for a moment. It also reminded me that I need to enjoy every moment of this experience!!! 
The camera test lasted the entire day. We had to change costumes four times. There are other characters in the series that were also camera testing that I had not met before. Parker Posey plays Dr. Smith. Dr. Smith is a character that I will have a lot of important scenes with. Parker is maybe one of the coolest people I have ever met. She's funny, and super smart. I think I am really going to enjoy working with her. She has a dog named Gracie that goes everywhere with her.
Sometimes this all seems like a wierd dream. A week ago, I didn't know any of these people, and now it seems that our lives will be linked for ever in this strange way because we are sharing this unique experience. I feel very lucky. My mom always teaches me that the job isn't what matters. Jobs always end. It's the people you meet and the relationships that you make that really matter. I think I am already on my way.
There are many more things to be done before we even start making this series and I can not wait for each and every moment!

Mina, me, and Taylor




2 comments:

  1. I love the advice that your mom gave...and I'm stealing it! You are fortunate to be meeting such a wide range of people that (as you stated correctly) you'll always have a bond with! Keep writing to us (even though your class is doing more texting to you than responding here!). I'm learning new things from you each post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max! Your class has loved hearing from you and your posts are fantastic! I hear there has been a lot of text messaging too... I have tried to get your classmates to write some comments to your posts, but they said they prefer to text message you--so I hope you are hearing from everyone?

    It's awesome that your mom to got a cast chair! It must also be fun to have Parker Posey's dog on set. Maybe we could try to set up a Skype session with you class next week--I will try to workout a time after 2pm CST that will work.

    Have fun and keep up the amazing writing!

    Ms. Schultz

    ReplyDelete