Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Reflections on Film

Photo Reeflections:

On my breaks on set, to pass the time I usually go over to the guys on “B” camera and try to learn all about the camera and how it works. It is so fun. I have learned how to pull focus, calibrate a lense, set up shots, dolly operate, do the camera report, and framing a shot. I have also learned about the different lenses, different filters, and how the camera processes light. To really make sure I understand how a camera works, the “B” camera guys gave me a real film camera for my birthday. I love it. I have been taking the camera everywhere and it’s amazing how differently I look at the world. I see beautiful and interesting things everywhere that I want to capture on film.

The film camera works differently than a digital camera. You have to get your film developed so nothing is instant and it makes you be more thoughtful about taking photos. The reason you don’t get your photos right away is because when the film camera takes a photo, the shutter opens for a certain amount of time (depending on what you set your shutter speed to). The aperture opens or closes a certain mechanism inside your lense allowing a certain amount of light to pass through the lense. You have to choose the aperture as well. The light passes through the lense onto a mirror inside the camera which reflects an image onto light sensitive paper (film) and the image is “recorded” onto your film. Once the film roll is full, you have to develop it by putting it into certain chemical baths in a very dark room. It’s complicated to do it all manually, it takes longer than pointing and shooting with an iphone, but I hope it will teach me more about how to frame a shot, and what light settings and lenses to use for the best picture. It also has made me think a lot before I just shoot the camera.

I have finished my first roll of film. I cannot wait to see what I captured. I plan to take many pictures. I want to take pictures in color and black and white. I plan to do a series of portraits and landscapes. I want to capture Lost in Space from behind the scenes as I see it. I also want to take pictures of Vancouver and the other locations we shoot. One day I will look back and see all that I have done and these pictures will tell my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment